The Shrine and Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes at Euclid, Ohio (about 10 miles east of Cleveland's Public Square) is a copy of the original Shrine in Lourdes, France.
The Shrine property borders on the old route of the historic Buffalo Trail (which is now U.S. ROUTE 20). The Euclid Village area, after the Civil War, became known for its prized commodity: grapes of the Concord, Catawba, Niagra, Delaware and Martha variety, recognized for their delicious and very distinctive flavor.
The Shrine was the original "Harms Farm" acquired by Mr. Harms in 1868 where he proceeded to plant one of the finest vineyards in Euclid. His wife, Julia Harms, was a devout Catholic.
In 1920, the Harms Farm became property of the Good Shepherd Sisters, and in 1922 while visiting their Motherhouse in France, the Good Shepherd Sisters visited the world-famous Shrine at Lourdes. It was at this time that Mother Mary of St. John Berchmans McGarvey was inspired to erect a similar grotto on their newly acquired property at Providence Heights. A Dominican priest, Pere Ekert, gave the Sisters a precise account of the Grotto. Before leaving, he gave them a lasting treasure: a piece of the stone from rock on which the Blessed Virgin stood when she appeared to Bernadette. This stone, given to the Sisters was later divided into three parts; two of which are now imbedded in the rocks at the Grotto and the other is found in the reliquary in the Gift Shop.
Masses At The Shrine
*Weekdays (except Tuesdays): Shrine Chapel at 7:00 A.M.
*Tuesdays (all year): Shrine Chapel at 5:00 P.M.
*Saturdays and Sundays (all year): Shrine Chapel at 8:00 A.M.
*Grotto (weather permitting): from May through October at 9:30 A.M.
Outdoor Sunday Services
*(May through October)
*3:00 P.M. Stations of the Cross
*4:00 P.M. Rosary Procession, Homily, Benediction
*Blessing of Religious Articles conducted in the Chapel after benediction
*Novena to Our Lady of Lourdes: February 3-11
*Triduum & Feast of St. Ann: July 24, 25, 26
*Novena for the Assumption of Our Lady: August 7-15
*Sisters Christmas Novena for Benefactors: December 16-24
Gift & Greeting Card Shop
*The Gift Shop and Greeting Card Shop featuring a wide variety of Religious Articles and Cards at affordable prices for every occasion, are open daily all year round from 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. The time is extended according to need. The Gift Shop may be contacted at ( 216) 481-0900.
THE SHRINE AND GROTTO OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES IS OPEN ALL YEAR ROUND FROM 7:00A.M. UNTIL DUSK.
St. Ann Dining Room
*Sundays The Restaurant is open from May through October. Breakfast served from 10:00 to 11:30 A.M.
*Dinners served from 12:00 noon to 4:00 P.M.